PhoneGap is being ranked number one of the developer's choice to develop cross platform compatible apps.With the major mobile operating systems ubiquitous in the mobile industry, it is quite apparent that no mobile platform has a common native development tool. And it is this situation that has probed the development of this cross platform mobile framework.
So what sets distant this framework from the many others?
The PhoneGap has incorporated web technologies and native development with a cross platform approach with the web being the only part that is portable. With the framework it is achievable to provide different architectures for different platforms and to let the app use the features of GPS, Camera, Contacts, media access, Accelerometer and data storage mechanism this feature of the current framework works perfectly.
Overview of PhoneGap:
PhoneGap application flow:
A smartphone handles many functions when it is in the active mode. Some of these tasks have an advanced priority than others and are managed by the operating system. The method calls the application with a superior priority into the foreground and sends the lower priority application into the background.
For example, when the mobile user has an incoming call, no matter which application is working in the foreground, the operating system fetches the call dialer application to the foreground. This is an interrupt to running applications which should be handled properly. If the application doesn't bear these interruptions then there is a threat of losing the application state and data related to it. The lifecycle provides a set of methods to handle these scenarios.
Advantages of PhoneGap:
- Hybrid applications can be designed and developed using native functionalities and rich UI using web technologies
- Aid Cross platform application development
- Extensive reusability of programming code
- Applications like Accelerometer, Camera, Media, Compass, Contacts, Files, Geolocation, Network, Notification and Storage functionalities are supported
- Mobile native element integration with web is made possible by using a plug-in
- Depending on the app requirement; the plug-in can be developed and used in the PhoneGap
- The PhoneGap community is participating dynamically in plug-in development
- Deployment framework for numerous platforms
- Cloud based facility creation facility for multiple platforms
- Tools can be utilized which are contributed by the community and also receive help from PhoneGap forums/community for any of the queries
Open source frameworks are measured to be successful only when the open source community for the same contributes continuously. When it comes to PhoneGap framework, the community support is very optimistic. This helps developers and architects to influence this technology for their cross platform requirements.